What is the SMART Functional Rehabilitation Program (FRP)?
SMART Functional Rehabilitation Program (FRP) is an innovative pain solution for injured workers suffering from chronic pain. Because pain and disability affect all aspects of a person’s life, our treatment program is designed to address the whole person. Each patient enrolled in the program participates in structured daily activities and receives individual medication management, tailored psychological counseling, physical and occupational therapy. Our functional rehabilitation program provides highly individualized treatment in a customized 30 day outpatient program.
What are the program goals?
- Reducing or eliminating pain medication while increasing function.
- Providing patients with a variety of tools that can help them confidently and more effectively manage their pain.
- Helping patients return to their highest functional level and to meaningful activities through increased fitness and strength and use of adaptive techniques.
- Increasing each patients sense of emotional well-being and independence.
- Providing education to prevent worsening of the current condition and/or additional injury.
What is involved in the SMART FRP Approach?
- Interdisciplinary Evaluation: Once referred to the SMART FRP program, each patient participates in an in-depth evaluation by a Pain Physician, Pain Psychologist, Occupational Therapist and Physical Therapist resulting in recommendation for an individualized treatment plan.
- Medication Optimization: A medically supervised program to wean injured workers down or off of opioids and/or other medications.
- A customized program: Individual and group sessions that includes physical and occupational therapy and cognitive behavior therapy to address physical function and pain coping skills.
- Aftercare: Upon completion of the 30 day program, graduates participate in an individualized program at a reduced frequency in order to continue medication management under our physician’s care and to maintain the functional improvements gained in SMART FRP.